Re: gmail+SMTP(only) (oauth2)

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: gmail+SMTP(only) (oauth2)
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 08:15:15 +0200

>>> "TC" == Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

>> Hi
>>
>> Today I got the unofficial approval to forward my email to an account of
>> my choice, if I can't access my mail with TLS (SSL or the gmail app
>> password anymore)

> So are you saying your institution won't allow you to use app passwords?
> If they do, I would highly recommend going that route as the most
> reliable and easily maintained approach. Note that even with the app
> password solution, you still are using TLS both with imap and smtp.

No, I did not say that, but I have seen rumors that google will drop also
the app password approach, in which case this route is not any longer
possible.

However, I don't remember where I have seen it.

Do you have information regarding this subject?

>> However I have been warned that the message should have a from field
>> with a domain of my university. (@mat.ucm.es for example).
>>
>> Now I could either use
>>
>> 1. The smtpmail (or sendmail) program of my linux machine (not sure
>> about MacOS

> No, at least not on its own. You may well use smtpmail to communicate
> with an SMTP server, but you will need to identify a new smtp server you
> can use which will allow you to use a from header which is not the
> 'standard' for that server. You cannot just use an SMTP server running
> on your local Linux desktop - at least not if you want to ensure
> reliable mail service and avoid having your messages dropped into
> blackholes and anti-spam quarantine systems. Some services might allow
> you to configure your local desktop sendmail (or postfix or whatever) as
> a satelite/smarhost which relays messages to the main SMTP service, but
> your really just adding complexity with little benefit and will likely
> run into all sorts of ISP issues (especially if your system is a laptop
> which connects via different networks).

I see, I might be able that my machine will be registered in our DNS
databank as

machine-name.mat.ucm.es

I am not sure that it will help if I use my Linux SMTP server, [1].

Especially if I am using my laptop on any other institutions or at home,
since I then will have an IP address that is not within the range of the
IP addresses my university uses. I could use VPN but that slows down
things and, it also does not allow me to use newservers since that is
blocked when using non static university's IP, sigh.

If this approach (registering my machine) does not help, I have to pray
that google will stick to app passwords for the foreseeable future.

Regards

Uwe

Footnotes:
[1]  (I need the from to be oub@mat.ucm.es, because otherwise my SMIME