Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - what features?

From: Timothy
Subject: Re: Emacs Survey 2022 - what features?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 01:19:40 +0800

Hi Jean,

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

> ** What features motivated you to initially try Emacs? :MultiSelect:
> - [ ] Extensibility
> - [ ] Package/ecosystem
> - [ ] Community
> - [ ] Part of the GNU project / FSF
>
> You are forgetting the main feature of “text editing”.

Added.

> The main reason why I have started using Emacs is because it was text editor
> and displayed in every Window Managers’ menus. I could not possibly know of
> extensibility neither of packages, as I have not opened Emacs, I have clicked
> on it and started studying, only then I could find extensibility and packages.
> Without opening it, launching it, I would not know about the community
> neither, and I would not easily find out it is GNU project.

If somebody is trying Emacs from word of mouth etc. I’d imagine the
extensibility of Emacs may have been mentioned.

> “Extensibility” is not understandable to many users, make a survey in
> simple English.

Hmm, personally I don’t see the issue here.

> Myself I do not understand how “package” would motivate me to use
> Emacs, but if you wish to say that, then please:

Well, I’d say Magit and Org-mode are pretty motivating packages.

> Ecosystem
> <https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Ecosystem>

I’m talking about the Emacs package ecosystem, to which the comments there do
not seem to apply. It may be clearer just to say “Package(s)” though.

All the best,
Timothy