Re: [External] : [emacs bookmark.el] Sorting by last set

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [External] : [emacs bookmark.el] Sorting by last set
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 21:25:34 -0500

On 24 May 2022, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
Manuel Giraud <manuel@ledu-giraud.fr> writes:

Yes I've seen this comment in bookmark.el. It seems that it should not be taken lightly. So this rules out adding a "modified date" field (my 2nd option) but maybe my first option (sorting 'bookmark-alist' in last
modified order by default) is still possible.

Extending the bookmark format (by adding more fields) is totally possible.

I think sorting by last set sounds like a nice feature -- patches
welcome.

I agree. Extending the format to add fields like 'created-date' and/or 'last-modified' date seems fine to me, to support features like this.

In fact, when I was reviewing and applying Manuel's recent changes to toggle sorting in the bookmark menu buffer, I was already thinking that this would all be easier if the bookmark itself carried its creation date.

Drew, correct me if my guess is wrong, but does your objection (earlier in this thread) to extending the bookmark file format stem from the fact that long ago there was at least one -- maybe more? -- format revision that was not done in a compatible way? (I think it may have been my fault, too, but it's too long ago for me to remember clearly.)

Anyway, we fixed things and nowadays the format is quite easily extensible in a backwards-compatible way. The PARAM-ALIST component of each bookmark object is just an alist with a known set key/value pairs. If we add a new pair, old versions of bookmark.el will just ignore it while new versions will make use of it.

If you have some other reason for objecting to extending the format, though, please say.

Best regards,
-Karl