Re: ns-do-applescript

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: ns-do-applescript
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 12:46:31 +0800

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> This might be a reaonable argument when considering adding additional
> support/integration, but falls short when referencing work which ahs
> already been completed and has been part of Emacs for some time.

If such a feature lands by mistake, our policy is to remove it until it
is also available on a free system.  That has happened many times, most
recently with "tabbed windows" and color fonts on macOS.

> Perhaps then your not the right person to address those bugs? Perhaps
> they need to be addressed by someone who does actually use that
> platform?

Unfortunately, the "someone who does actually use that platform"
recently quit.

> The argument that leaving such functionality in place will encourage
> users to use it seems somethwat flawed. This functionality is only
> available if your running on that platform and if your already running
> on that platform, encouragement to run on that platform doesn't amount
> to much. I would also suggest far more enrouagement comes from having
> support to build Emacs on that platform in the first place.
>
> It is also possible that having this support means users can actually
> use Emacs to perform some tasks which would otherwise require closed
> proprietary solutions or which would be easier to do with close
> properietary solutions. Maybe this support actually enrouages users to
> use Emacs instead of a non-free editor which has applescript support?

That horse is already dead, and this is neither the place nor the time
to beat it.