Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: corfu-doc and corfu-doc-terminal

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: [NonGNU ELPA] New packages: corfu-doc and corfu-doc-terminal
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 13:55:29 +0000

Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:

> I would like to submit these two packages to NonGNU ELPA: corfu-doc
> and corfu-doc-terminal.
>
> corfu-doc shows a documentation popup for the selected candidate in
> Corfu.  It uses child frame to do this.  The author said that he
> signed and sent the papers but hasn't received any reply, so this
> package can't be add to ELPA right now.  In the meantime, I would like
> submit this here.

Maybe this should be investigated, this kind of behaviour is not
supposed to happen.

> corfu-doc-terminal advises corfu-doc to use Popon, so that corfu-doc
> works also on non-graphical (terminal) displays.  As corfu-doc isn't a
> part of Emacs, I can't publish it to ELPA (as it depends on corfu-doc
> and uses some code adapted from corfu-doc).  Maybe I can do that in
> the future when corfu-doc becomes a part of Emacs, if law allows me to
> do so.

To my knowledge, there is inherently no issue in having an GNU ELPA
package depend on a package in NonGNU ELPA, unless the user has NonGNU
ELPA disabled or uses an older version of Emacs.

But if you have copied code from corfu-doc, then that would be an issue
(depending on how much code/how significant of a contribution we are
talking about).