Re: Compiling Emacs from source for hacking on it

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Compiling Emacs from source for hacking on it
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 16:06:00 +0300

> From: Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org>
> Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 18:07:38 +0600
>
> I have recently (shallow) cloned Emacs source code.  I have compiled it
> by doing the following:

> $ mkdir build
> $ cd build
> $ ../configure --without-x --without-gnutls --without-modules \
>     --without-sqlite3 --without-pop --without-mailutils --without-sound
> $ make
>
> If I understand correctly, running ./src/emacs should start the newly
> compiled Emacs.  But it says that with-memoizaton function definition is
> void, even with an empty init file (actually I commented out the whole
> file).  ./src/temacs works, but says function-documention is undefined
> at runtime.

With the current master branch, I cannot reproduce this.  But:

  . I cloned the repository normally (i.e. not a "shallow" clone)
  . I built Emacs in the source tree, not in a separate build/
    sub-directory;
  . I invoked Emacs as ./src/emacs -Q

If using "-Q" doesn't help, perhaps this is some problem with building
in a separate directory, in which case you could rebuild in-place and
try again.