Re: [SOLVED (magic?)]

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: [SOLVED (magic?)]
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2022 16:04:13 +0200

    >> |     Uwe> (setq gnus-select-method (list 'nnnil ""))
    >> |     Uwe> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)
    >> |     Uwe> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
    >> |     Uwe>       '(
    >> |     Uwe>       (nnimap "UCMgmail"
    >> |     Uwe>               (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
    >> |     Uwe>               (nnimap-server-port 993)
    >> |     Uwe>                 ;; (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
    >> |     Uwe>               (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
    >> |     Uwe>               (nnimap-stream ssl)
    >> |     Uwe>                 ;;(nnimap-stream starttls)
    >> |     Uwe>                 (nnimap-fetch-partial-articles "text/")
    >> |     Uwe>               (nnir-search-engine imap))))
    >> |
    >> |     Uwe> And put in authinfo my app password instead my «normal» one?
    >> |
    >> | Yes
    >> |
    >> | Robert
    >> `----

    >> Be it as it may, it *does not work*

    Uwe> Well, you are not going to belive, it but after makeing the following
minor change:

    Uwe> machine smtp.gmail.com login oub.oub.oub@gmail.com port 587 password
XXXXX
    Uwe> machine imap.gmail.com login oub.oub.oub password XXXX port imaps

You made the 'machine' value match your nnimap-address? That seems
sensible.

    Uwe> After  *restarting emacs*,

    Uwe> I can now again access my private gmail account,

    Uwe> Sorry for the noise.

    Uwe> May I suggest to add a section to the authinfo info file, describing
the
    Uwe> use of gmail app-passwords.

It sounds more like we need to document better that .authinfo entries
can sometimes be cached, so `auth-source-forget-all-cached' might need
to be called when messing with it (itʼs currently described in the
'help for developers' section).

    Uwe> If you like I can give it a try (I would send you my proposal off list)
    Uwe> and you can decide for yourself.

    Uwe> Sometimes a novice (like me concerning gmail app passwords) might
mention
    Uwe> things that seem trivial to the expert.

Itʼs not that theyʼre trivial or non-trivial: changing .authinfo
happens rarely enough that any such caching issues are not obvious.

Robert