Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2022 17:32:43 +0200

Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:

Hi Akib,

> I can't understand why people are suggesting to Org mode in package
> description.

I'm not sure if we are miscommunicating.  Of course, nobody should be
mandated to write his package's README as org file.  But as a matter of
fact, many package authors do it that way or in markdown simply because
both are good formats for structured text and are supported by most
forges (markdown even more so), i.e., the rendered version of the README
becomes the project's homepage without any additional work.  IMHO,
that's good: it encourages package authors to write good READMEs because
it's the very first thing a prospective user will see.

So again, I was only suggesting that if (and only if) a package declares
a :readme "README.org" / "README.md", it would be nice if it was
*displayed* as in the "native" modes.  I certainly acknowledge technical
arguments, e.g., loading the org package is too slow (right now).

Let me ask the other way round: why can't you understand that someone
thinks it's a good idea if the package description is displayed as the
author intended?

> I'm again saying that the README.org should be converted (exported) to
> plain text on package installation (I won't recommend to do this
> server, since its probably SaaSS and would increase server load).

I've just tried org-exporting the vertico README.org to a plain-text
UTF-8 version and have to confess, the result is really, really
intriguing.  So, yes, such a conversion is at least much better as the
status quo where the org syntax is displayed literally without
highlighting.  (I almost don't perceive the org/markdown syntax when
there's syntax highlighting but if there isn't, it looks annoying.)

One problem with the "conversion on installation" approach you suggest
is that this would load org, too, so the arguments against using/loading
org for display would also apply here.

Bye,
Tassilo