Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 20:26:39 +0200

> I think the way forward is to define a "basic org-mode".  This one could
> be used at many more places where there's currently an occasional desire
> to use Org that's resisted because of the above problems.

I think that people that use Org mode wouldn't be very interested in
that, and people that don't use Org can just continue editing those
files with `M-x find-file-literally', really.  Doing so is fine.

But I don't understand the discussion this thread warped out of.  When
we display a README from Package, we shouldn't be showing the raw text
of README.org or README.md or README.html, lightly fontified -- we
should be showing a rendering of it.  People that read the README aren't
supposed to edit it, after all.

Which would make the 40K key bindings that Org apparently has completely
irrelevant for non-Org users.