Re: GnuTLS error -54

From: tomas
Subject: Re: GnuTLS error -54
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 07:18:34 +0200

On Fri, Jun 10, 2022 at 05:36:34PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Since yesterday, my attempts to connect to my IMAP server from Gnus tend
> to give me a GnuTLS error number -54 (GNUTLS_E_PULL_ERROR, according to
> https://www.gnutls.org/manual/html_node/Error-codes.html).
>
> Web searches seem to indicate noone knows what this error is (or more
> likely those who do don't write in web-crawled forums) but the general
> consensus among the ignoramus (among which I sadly count myself) seems
> to be that it's a transient error, and indeed, if I try again a few
> times it ends up working.

Ignoramus here, too (even possibly ignoramus squared :), but I wanted
to show of the new plaything I stumbled upon. I put GNUTLS_E_PULL_ERROR
into https://sources.debian.org/ yields (among many) this hit, where
that seems to happen:

  https://sources.debian.org/src/gnutls28/3.7.4-2/lib/system/ktls.c/?hl=391#L391

So the meaning seems to be "we received some funny error in recvmsg
which we didin't bother to cach explicitly (the latter being EAGAIN,
EINVAL, EMSGSIZE, EBADMSG). Having a look at which other errors
recvmsg documents, anything is possible, a more harmless being, e.g.
out of memory.

Cheers