Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 15:27:47 +1000

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> But Elisp is not portable to a non-Emacs system (say, iPhone).  In the
>>> long run, it would be better to define a "parseable" language as the
>>> standard basis for Org.  From that, people can develop (parts of) Org on
>>> other platforms (Vim, Beorg, Orgzly) and test/prove that they are
>>> compatible with version X of the language.  I think Organice was doing
>>> this, but I haven't looked at it deeply.
>
>> This is all part of the aims and process. However, the first step is to
>> develop a robust elisp based parser. This helps to ensure the org syntax
>> is consistent and helps identifies ambiguities which need to be fixed as
>> well as provides a reference implementation which developers can use to
>
> It is not the goal of Emacs to support tyrant devices such as the iPhone
> running proprietary operating systems such as iOS.
>

> If people are going to refactor Org mode, I hope they will not do it
> with support for iPhones in mind.

There has never been suggestion that what we are doing is to facilitate
development on non-free platforms. However, if you develop good clean
code and clear algorithms which others are able to use as a reference to
understand the syntax and semantics of a system, you cannot control how
they will use that information. In fact, it can be argued that making
such information readily available and accessible is a large part of the
freedoms being promoted by the FSF.

This is completely different from, for example, providing an interface
which can be used by a non-free platform.

Besides, if org is as bad and difficult to learn as you have indicated
in other posts, nobody will bother implementing it on those platforms
you seem so threatened by anyway!