Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 15:36:16 +0800

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

>>> So basically no one builds Org, including the manual, on their own
>>> system?  Even not the Org developers?
>>
>> Org releases are not frequent for most users and occasional build time
>> should not matter too much. Nobody complained on the list.
>
> Well, for the record, I did complain, but that was over 11 years ago. :-)
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-12/msg01356.html

Point taken.

> I still think Org is way too slow to be a viable documentation system
> for a project like Emacs.

Things have changed since 2014.
On my system, using Emacs 28 and latest Org, exporting org-manual +
org-guide takes 18.8 sec. This time includes genering the .texi files
and running texinfo. From that 18.8 sec, texinfo takes 3.4 sec to run.

org export takes: 15.4 sec, which is 4.5 x texinfo time.
Considering that Org export is more sofisticated compared to texinfo and
that Org export is written in Elisp, I see this performance as
acceptable for a documentation system.

Best,
Ihor