Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2022 00:32:34 -0700

> On Jun 16, 2022, at 11:19 PM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2022 12:09:10 -0700
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>> Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>,
>> Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
>> Daniel Colascione <dancol@dancol.org>
>>
>> I also added manual entries for traverse functions, please have a look ;-) I
>> haven’t add manual for treesit-search and treesit-defun-query, etc yet.
>
> Could you perhaps post a "cookbook" like recipe for trying the branch
> for some programming language?  I mean, what should a user do, after
> building the branch, to start using the features backed by
> tree-sitter?  I presume the list should include downloading parsers
> (any recommendations for the relevant sites?), compiling them (or
> maybe there are sites with precompiled ones?), then setting some
> variables or data structures in Emacs or invoking some commands/modes?
>
> I think something like that will be useful for more people to try the
> branch, provide feedback, and facilitate making its more stable.

I do have an article that covers many of the topics you mentioned [1]. But it
lacks “hands-on” details, and it is a bit out-dated (repository moved, we
changed the prefix, etc). I can update it with, say, a starter guide on
implementing a minimal tree-sitter C major mode. I’ll post back once its done.

[1]: https://archive.casouri.cat/note/2021/emacs-tree-sitter/index.html

Yuan