Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Convert README.org to plain text README while installing package
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 18:49:57 +1000

Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com> writes:

> So apologies for partaking in that practice.  FWIW, if my story is any
> indication, not everyone who sent those blocks was inherently advocating
> for using Org syntax pervasively: they might just have assumed that it
> made life better for anyone reading their mail with Emacs (because they
> automatically got syntax highlighting out of it), and not realize that
> instead they were making it worse (by sandwiching perfectly good code
> between noisy sigils).

I don't believe there is anything to apologise for. Some people find the
#+begin_src/#+end_src delimiting of blocks irritating and others don't.
To be honest, I had never even given it a thought until this thread.
Given it isn't something seen as a common complaint, I wouldn't worry
about it too much. I actually quite like getting code snippets which are
syntax highlighted, but I do use Emacs for my MUA.

The fact we see few complaints about it means we don't really have any
idea how many people find it a problem. The low numbers complaining
could indicate few care or few find it an issue or it could mean the
practice is not common enough to motivate complaining. Either way, just
a storm in a tea cup.

For those who do use Emacs as there MUA and who also use org-mode, the
good news is you can avoid the ire of some users by
converting your org content to fairly good looking HTML formatted messages.
Everyone gets to see syntax highlighted code - at least everyone who
has a mail reader capable of rendering HTML mail, which is probably the
vast majority these days. Bad news is, this further encourages HTML for
email (I would have preferred #+begin_src/#+end_src), but that argument
is pretty much dead in the water having been won by HTML. For those who
do prefer HTML mail, org-mode is probably your only real solution when
using Emacs as your MUA.