Re: More build times

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: More build times
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 17:16:39 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 15:44:02 +0200
>
> Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> writes:
>
> > Anybody see the same phenomenon on their systems?  (These are clean
> > builds -- made from a fresh git clone.)
>
> It's a git artefact.  For instance, this is what "git log" says:

You mean the build times include the time it took Git to checkout the
tree at a specific commit?  Because otherwise I cannot understand how
this:

> No intervening commits or anything, but checking out f419de6eca and
> 61a312ba0c give you vastly different trees -- presumably because of
> merges and the like (since f419de6eca4 originated in emacs-28).

could explain that the elapsed time increased whereas CPU time
decreased: if you get more files that look modified to Make, you
should see more CPU time invested into rebuilding.  Am I missing
something?