Re: itrans input methods and motion keys

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: itrans input methods and motion keys
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2022 17:44:25 +0530

[புதன் ஜூன் 29, 2022] समीर सिंह Sameer Singh wrote:

> I am sorry I do not use the itrans input methods, therefore do not know
> much about it :(
> So may I know why are motion keys disabled while typing in these input
> methods?

It is not that they are disabled but they are in conflict with the
keybindings in quail-translation-keymap so you no longer have access to
the motion keys.

Quail has facility to make use of a dictionary to insert text: the
Chinese and the Japanese input methods use these.  When such a facility
is used, the translation keymap is useful since you have to pick from
multiple translations for an input sequence, however, IME itrans is not
such a complex IM so not having it be a SIMPLE quail IM is annoying
since the quail-translation-keymap steals the motion keys.

If this is still not clear, you can think of a non-SIMPLE quail IM as
akin to the Google input tools.  You type in text, it presents multiple
translations of the text, then you select one.  But what happens in an
itrans method is simple transliteration for which a SIMPLE quail IM
should be good enough.

And reading the code more a bit, I think pushing the following patch
shouldn't bring in any new annoyances.  Can someone push it please?