Re: TODO: Major modes should have a menu entry

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: TODO: Major modes should have a menu entry
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 09:10:44 +0300

* binarydigitz01 <binarydigitz01@proton.me> [2022-06-29 20:07]:
> Thanks for the reply! I was taking a look, and it seems that
> there are a lot of major modes in emacs, do we have to put them all
> in a menu, or are there any specific ones? etc/TODO doesn't mention
> any details.

Hello,

I propose to you to ask for feedback from people if that is really
necessary and needed and wanted.

Do you find that need from observing how other editors do it?

What makes you personally need that?

Personally, I do not have a need for the menu.

The way I choose major modes is just by letting Emacs decide it for
me when opening a file.

Issue that I have encountered is that when opening a string instead of
a file or string stored in the database, then it becomes difficult for
Emacs to recognize which major mode should be such. In that case I may
be editing HTML with CSS, but text-mode is chosen automatically.

The way how I solved this issue is that for those pieces of text in
the database which have their markup like Markdown, Org, Asciidoctor,
etc. I have a major mode tied to the markup type. So if I open string
of Markdown, then markup type tells to Emacs which major mode and
minor modes to turn on.

There are some strings where I do not have direct relation of string
to markup, so in that case I plan in future to have separate table of
attributes where specific table, specific column, including specific
ID number has specific major mode.

Recommended reading: (info "(emacs) Major Modes")

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman