Emacs packages, GitHub and software freedom

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Emacs packages, GitHub and software freedom
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2022 19:32:58 +0600

Recently, FSF has sent the following in the Free Software Supporter
list:[1]

> ### Give up GitHub: The time has come!
>
> *From June 30 by Software Freedom Conservancy*
>
> [Following GitHub's announcement](https://u.fsf.org/3me) of Copilot as
> a for-profit product, Software Freedom Conservancy calls on all free
> software developers to leave and "Give up GitHub!" The campaign page
> lists major reasons to give up on GitHub. Conservancy says,
> "developers have been, for too long, the proverbial frog in slowly
> boiling water. GitHub's behavior has gotten progressively worse, and
> we've excused, ignored, or otherwise acquiesced to cognitive
> dissonance." Read about the initiative, join the public mailing list,
> and learn how you can support the campaign yourself.
>
>   * <https://sfconservancy.org/GiveUpGitHub/>

And GitHub is already listed as being a F grade software forge in "GNU
Ethical Repository Criteria Evaluations" for atleast more than a
year.[2]  "GNU Ethical Repository Criteria" says that it's
unacceptable.[3]

But it is a matter of regret that many (about 133 out of 356 on my
downloaded archive-contents) GNU Emacs packages on GNU ELPA (let alone
NonGNU ELPA and MELPA) use GitHub.  What steps should we take about
them?  (Kicking them out of ELPA is indeed not an option.)

[1]  https://www.fsf.org/free-software-supporter/2022/july
[2]  https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html
[3]  https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria-evaluation.html

--
Akib Azmain Turja

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  It's fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5