Re: EBrowse obsolete?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: EBrowse obsolete?
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2022 13:39:22 -0400

> I don't use VS Code myself, but from talking with people who do, my
> understanding is that it supports LSP over SSH. (VS Code is a bit different
> in that it requires you to install a specific VS Code server on the remote
> host though, so maybe the closest analogy in Emacs would really be using
> emacsclient over TCP.)

Indeed, I don't think we can hope to get good performance with an
approach like that of Tramp which works hard to try and avoid requiring
installation of a "Emacs server" on the other end.
This said, it's probably possible to make it "good enough" in most
cases, tho it may require extra work.

For Emacs, an "easy" solution is to run Emacs on the remote side and
only have the display part be local (e.g. `ssh <host> emacs`), but in
some cases installation (and configuration) of Emacs on the remote side
is not really an option (either because of constraints on the remote
side, or because you want to have a single Emacs session that accesses
several remote hosts, or ...).

I wonder how they split the work between VSCode's servers and clients.

[ Reminds me that I've wished for an Emacs where the `buffer_text`
  object is remote, so you can open a 10GB remote file, navigate
  inside of it, and edit it without having to transfer the whole 10GB.  ]

        Stefan