rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]

From: João Távora
Subject: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 17:30:46 +0100

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 4:38 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
How else would you know where such re-scanning is needed?  An Emacs
command could change buffer text in several places and in different
ways, and you must ensure all the characters of a line have the
correct properties.

Depends on the application.  Each application just sets properties where
and when it sees fit.  It can keep track of where it set them using markers,
for example.   Also many commands such as movement don't change text.

Aaanyway, I think I'm happy with the current implementation that _doesn't_
use line numbers at all. I think this discussion has been productive (to some
degree).  If I ever need this again (or someone else, like Dmitry), I'll be sure
to ping here again.

For now, my itch has been scratched with a less complicated
back-scratcher. And what a scratch! I attach an animated gif, which
incidentally shows the how the rmsbolt.el package I was describing
earlier works.

Changing the subject completely, I wonder if there's any interest in
adding rmsbolt.el to GNU Elpa or even to core. It's not just for C/C++,
it works for a bunch of languages.

https://gitlab.com/jgkamat/rmsbolt

Apologies if it's old news and everyone's been using this, but
it's the best package I've seen appear in some time.

João Távora