Re: EBrowse obsolete?

From: Jim Porter
Subject: Re: EBrowse obsolete?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 10:22:59 -0700

On 7/22/2022 7:29 AM, Brian Cully via Emacs development discussions. wrote:
I use Eglot over Tramp exclusively, since it allows me to set up containers with isolated and predictable environments. It's a very important feature for me, which is why I submitted the initial patch that made it possible. I would *love* to fix the “forbidden re-entrant call to Tramp” problem, but I honestly have no idea how.
[snip]
I'm more than willing to put some work in here if I can get some useful pointers; I *love* Tramp, and this is my only real annoyance with it right now.

This thread on tramp-devel has some information that might help point you in the right direction: <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tramp-devel/2021-04/msg00034.html>. Michael Albinus had been working on a thread-safe Tramp that would resolve this, but it stalled.

In particular, one of the blockers to fixing this would be figuring out a way for code in an Emacs thread to prompt the user (see bug#25214). Normally, I don't think prompting the user should happen with Tramp + Eglot, but it's always possible (e.g. if you need to re-enter your password), and it looks like things fail pretty hard with the thread-safe Tramp if that happens.