Re: implementing a reader macro

From: Ag Ibragimov
Subject: Re: implementing a reader macro
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 17:12:21 -0500

>> How difficult is it to implement a new reader macro for Elisp?
>> The one I particularly wish to be ported from Clojure is the "discard
>> macro" - `#_`. What it does is that it ignores the next form completely.
>
> Does `clojure-mode` support that correctly?

AFAIK it works very well in clojure-mode.

> I don't think this feature pays for itself, personally.

Well, to be honest, initially, it does look like a gimmick that doesn't add much
value. But once you get used to having it, it really feels nice.

> There are plenty of alternative solutions that don't require changing
> the syntax of the language.

Can you show some examples? I think most of them still require you to
change the structure - you either have to wrap the form or prepend every line,
etc.