Re: Where has a cool feature gone?

From: Phil Sainty
Subject: Re: Where has a cool feature gone?
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 18:35:09 +1200

On 2022-07-23 17:00, Davin Pearson wrote:
In the version of emacs that I am currently using (26.3)
Do I need to upgrade the Emacs version?  Ubuntu tells me
I am using the most up to date version of Emacs.

Ubuntu tells you you're using the most recent version of their
OS package for Emacs that they provide for the version of
Ubuntu that you are currently using.

It's not difficult to learn that 26.3 is not the most up to
date version of Emacs.  Among many other searchable sources,
the Emacs web site https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/#Releases
shows that since 26.3 there have been releases for 27.1, 27.2,
and 28.1.

The feature in question hasn't "gone" anywhere, but it never
existed in the version you're using (nor in earlier versions).

If you want to use a newer release of Emacs in your version of
Ubuntu, you will need to install it some other way (compiling
it yourself is always an option, but there might be alternative
packaged options).

It also sounds like you're referring to documentation which
is external to the version of emacs that you're using.  You
should always use the in-built manuals -- they will detail
the features of the version you're actually using.

Make sure you're actually reading the documentation for the
version you're using before questioning why a feature doesn't
work the way you expect.

-Phil