Re: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]

From: Jay Kamat
Subject: Re: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 07:53:37 -0700

João Távora writes:

Changing the subject completely, I wonder if there's any interest in
adding rmsbolt.el to GNU Elpa or even to core. It's not just for C/C++,
it works for a bunch of languages.

I am personally open to putting the package on ELPA (or nongnu ELPA). My main concern is that I would prefer to keep upstream where it is to avoid moving things around - and ideally I would like to avoid doing extra work for new versions (melpa automatically builds new versions every time I push/tag a release). I haven't followed elpa very closely but my impression is that you might be able to set a remote upstream but you would need to manually keep re-syncing to keep things up to date in elpa.

Somewhat related, I think a better candidate for ELPA right now is the org-notify package, which was dropped from org-contrib a while ago:

- https://git.sr.ht/~bzg/org-contrib/commit/c6aef31ccfc7c4418c3b51e98f7c3bd8e255f5e6
- https://github.com/melpa/melpa/pull/8116

I'm not the maintainer of this package, but I would like to see this package published on ELPA, nongnu ELPA, or Melpa. Depending on what the maintainer prefers, I would be happy to put in any work required to get the package back on ELPA (either in org-contrib or on its own).

Apologies if it's old news and everyone's been using this, but
it's the best package I've seen appear in some time.

Thanks for the kind words :). I wish I had more time to work on it but I've been quite busy in recent years unfortunately.

-Jay