Re: Where has a cool feature gone?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Where has a cool feature gone?
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 07:23:20 +0200

On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 11:10:52AM +1200, Davin Pearson wrote:
> Here are my attempts to install Gnu Guix:
> None of them work!
>
> www@www-HP-EliteBook-840-G2:~$ sudo apt-get Guix
> [sudo] password for www:
> E: Invalid operation Guix

This is apt-get complaining: it wants first an operation
("install", "remove", etc. -- see apt-get's manual page
for the full list)

> www@www-HP-EliteBook-840-G2:~$ sudo apt-get GNU Guix
> E: Invalid operation GNU

You read this as "install 'GNU guix'" -- the package name
you gave has a space, apt-get tries to interpret the first
part as the operation ("GNU") and fails.

And so on. The Debian package you are looking for is called
simply "guix", so try this:

  apt-get install guix

That said, if you are new to apt, I'd look into "apt", which
might be a friendlier front-end to the package manager.

Cheers