Re: Eglot to core [Was: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]]

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Eglot to core [Was: rmsbolt.el [Was: Colorful line numbers]]
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2022 11:31:29 -0400

>>> I look forward to Eglot being included with Emacs.  But (and I've said
>>> this before) "eglot" is a very bad name that says nothing about its
>>> purpose.  How about renaming it "language-server"?
>> I don't like idea conflating the names with the descriptions, because it
>> inevitably leads to conflicts.
> What kind of conflicts?

When several packages offer similar functionality, they fight for the
same name.  Should Gnus or Rmail or MH-E or ... be the one called "Mail"?

> If this is done, it would also be helpful to add alii for commands like
> `eglot-code-actions', `eglot-rename', `eglot-format', etc. to avoid
> confusion.

I don't see much need for that.  Once the users have found the
`language-server-mode`, the usual help system should make it easy for
them to find the rest under their "eglot-" names.

But if/when a such a need arise, of course we can add more aliases.

        Stefan