Re: undo-auto--undoable-change infloop

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: undo-auto--undoable-change infloop
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 08:54:20 +0300

> From: Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 03:14:18 +0200

> > Maybe this is a symptom of having way too many timers?
>
> Maybe.
>
> Could it be that when executing the timer function takes longer than the
> 0.1 seconds repeat delta, the timer fires again?

See timer-event-handler, which is the function invoked when a timer is
ripe, and handles both the invocation of the timer function and
rescheduling of the next timer invocation.  My reading of it is that
the above _could_ happen, but:

  . it can only happen if the timer function calls something that
    causes Emacs to wait for input, like sit-for, perhaps or
    accept-process-output, because otherwise Emacs will not check for
    ripe timers for as long as the timer function runs
  . the number of such "overlapping" invocations should not be more
    than 10, controlled by the value of timer-max-repeats