Re: Loading tramp for dump goes into infinite regress

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Loading tramp for dump goes into infinite regress
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2022 16:22:56 -0400

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022, 4:11 PM Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org> wrote:
Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com> writes:

While resurrecting from a dump an eln is mapped into memory if (at
least) a native compiled function noted in the dump was loaded from it.
So yeah the dumped state is preserved a no top level re-evaluation is
happening.

BTW I think so far we do not support re-dumping Emacs twice with native
code.  This is not a deep technical limitaiton, it's only because how we
fixup relative eln paths to support installed and non installed builds,
we should probably work on this limitation...

I still can't figure out why building with native compilation and a site-load file was producing an error about trying to load an incoherent ELN file.
Now that I have a shell script for running make to compile the included files during the evaluation of site-init, I'm going to attempt that build again.
One thing I might do is expose the "all_loaded_comp_units_h" variable in lisp, so I can check whether all the ELN files were actually loaded and compare that list against the one computed in loadup based on identifying native subrs bound to function symbols.  That would provide a sanity check during the dump.  It might be better to just explicitly base the mapping on that hash table directly just to ensure no loaded compilation units are missed while dumping.

Lynn