Re: set sgml-xml-mode to true in some modes derived from sgml-mode

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: set sgml-xml-mode to true in some modes derived from sgml-mode
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 11:59:09 +0000

Hi Yilkal,

Yilkal Argaw <yilkalargawworkneh@gmail.com> writes:

> While trying to use emacs to edit html files I noticed how the
> sgml-tag functions which uses skeletons to insert  tags does not
> insert a closing tag for some tags like "<li>" this behaviour changes
> by changing the variable "sgml-xml-mode" to a non nil value. Would it
> not be better to turn this variable to true some of the derived modes
> like html-mode and xml-mode. This can be done by setting the variable
> in the autoload section for the derived modes.  This makes the default
> behaviour of those modes more usable without using hooks. For now I am
> using hooks set the variable true for html, mhtml and xml modes but I
> think that it should be set by default for it to be more user
> friendly.

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention.  However, this looks
like a bug report/feature request and should probably better go to
bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org so that we don't lose track of it.

It would also be helpful if you could include a recipe to reproduce
exactly what you see on your screen, starting from "emacs -Q", to make
it easier for those of us not intimately familiar with `sgml-xml-mode'.

Thanks.