Re: Add xref-find-references-other-window and xref-find-references-other

From: David Morgan
Subject: Re: Add xref-find-references-other-window and xref-find-references-other-frame to xref.el
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 11:24:09 +0000

------- Original Message -------
On Friday, August 5th, 2022 at 01:12, Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> On 04.08.2022 22:26, Philip Kaludercic wrote:
>
> > David Morgandjm_uk@protonmail.com writes:
> >
> > > I would like to add the functions xref-find-references-other-window and
> > > xref-find-references-other-frame (plus keybindings to xref.el).
> > >
> > > We already have xref-find-definitions-other-window (C-x 4 .) and
> > > xref-find-definitions-other-frame (C-x 5 .), but xref-find-references
> > > (M-?) has no equivalent other-window/frame versions.
> > > Are these really necessary, considering that the prefix-commands C-x 4
> > > 4/C-x 5 5 already exists? C-x 4 . (as opposed to C-x 4 M-.) is already
> > > a bit confusing, and overriding ?, that some people use instead of C-h
> > > to list the bindings under a prefix might not help.
>

> I'm inclined to agree.
>
> David, how do you feel about typing the slightly longer sequences 'C-x 4
> 4 M-?' and 'C-x 5 5 M-?' rather than having separate commands?

Apologies, I responded to the replies I received, but without CCing the list,
so in brief...

I was unaware of switch-to-buffer-obey-display-actions, so thought that
other-{window,frame}-prefix didn't work with xref-find-references. Now that
I've set that, it does work, which certainly makes having separate commands
less useful.