Re: CC Mode with font-lock-maximum-decoration 2

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: CC Mode with font-lock-maximum-decoration 2
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 08:00:16 +0000

Hello, Eli.

On Tue, Aug 09, 2022 at 05:24:02 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 19:09:50 +0000
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de>

> > > Then what is the importance of these measurements of yours?

> > They show that an attempt to speed up CC Mode/2 should be concentrating
> > on the code which isn't fontification code.

> Please elaborate on this conclusion, because I don't think I
> understand how you arrived at it, based on your measurements.  With
> the default value of font-lock-maximum-decoration, the fontifications
> are also very slow, relatively to other modes.

I mean CC Mode with font-lock-maximum-decoration = 2, particularly.  The
fontification in this setup is not slow (72% of Emacs Lisp Mode's
speed).  The setup as a whole is not fast enough.  Therefore to speed it
up, fontification is not the aspect to concentrate on.

This has no relevance to CC Mode with font-lock-maximum-decoration with
the default value.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).