Re: Major modes using `widen' is a good, even essential, programming pra

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Major modes using `widen' is a good, even essential, programming practice.
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 19:46:56 +0000

I'm also working on a bigger change that will push the narrowing/limiting mechanics down to font-lock, but I'm yet to find the best place to put that logic.

You may have seen that this has already been tried, and found insufficient.

And the problem with working on a feature like that is that it will be fixing performance problems I don't really have. And, as such, cannot evaluate different tradeoffs. And neither you nor Gregory want to give me feedback by actually trying that tiny patch.

Sorry, I cannot reply to all posts in a few hours.

I hope you realize how... local that patch it. Sure, it makes the 18 MB json file example (and only that example) slightly better. But on my machine I still see Emacs stuttering when leaning on C-v, I still see delays when searching through the file with C-s, and so forth. And of course with larger files the delays become more and more significant. With a 300 MB json file I have to wait about 30 s after pressing M->.