Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: New optimisations for long raw strings in C++ Mode.
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 20:39:51 +0000

But opening the resulting file with "emacs -Q" and then doing a `M->' now hangs Emacs, which it didn't use to do, I think?

If you do (setq long-line-threshold nil), M-> is fast. Only when you omit it does Emacs hang. Hmm. It's meant to be the other way around, isn't it? ;-)

Yes.  I'm guessing there's some additional bug there.

As has been discussed, CC Mode is, sadly, by design, incompatible with the new feature (and I wonder what the ";-)" above is supposed to convey). It insists on accessing the whole buffer, and doesn't downgrade gracefully when it can't. In this case, with emacs -Q, after M->, (jit-lock-fontify-now 999600 1001100) is called, which calls (c-font-lock-fontify-region 999600 1000034), which does (widen), and calls (font-lock-default-fontify-region 991200 1000034) because these (991200 and 1000034) are the bounds of the locked narrowing. For some reason (which I don't have the patience to track down), because that (widen), which shouldn't be there in the first place, doesn't do what the function expects it to do, font-lock-default-fontify-region never ends.