Re: "bengali-probhat" input method don't work as expected (by me)

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: "bengali-probhat" input method don't work as expected (by me)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 17:42:33 +0530

[புதன் ஆகஸ்ட் 10, 2022] Akib Azmain Turja wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org>
>>> Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2022 20:44:07 +0600
>>>
>>> I use Dvorak keyboard layout (actually the OS is converting QWERTY keys
>>> to Dvorak).  All input methods were broken for me.
>>
>> I don't think our input methods automatically support Dvorak keyboard
>> layouts, except the one(s) that is/are explicitly written to support
>> it.
>
> Why?  Why customizing quail-keyboard-layout isn't enough?

It isn't enough because the KBD-TRANSLATE for the bengali-probhat input
method was set to nil so Quail does not care about
quail-keyboard-layout.
[ KBD-TRANSLATE=nil is good for bengali-itrans which is phonetic but not
  so for bengali-probhat which is a keyboard layout akin to QWERTY.  ]

>>> And by the way, why M-x describe-input-method RET english-dvorak shows
>>> nice keyboard while M-x describe-input-method RET bengali-probhat shows
>>> just a (translation?) table?
>>
>> Because no one wrote the code to produce the nice display for
>> bengali-probhat.  It isn't automatic.  Patches welcome.
>>

> What files needs to be changed?

There is no need for that.  Quail takes care of it when we give it the
right argument when defining the input method.

TL;DR: We simply need to change two arguments to quail-define-package to
get the desired behaviour.  There's nothing more to do (other than
perhaps having pixel perfect alignment of the keyboard layout in the
*Help* buffer).