Re: master 48ac40e60e: ; Fix last change.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 48ac40e60e: ; Fix last change.
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 21:31:38 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2022 14:16:02 -0400
>
> > +This returns non-nil if its argument is either a built-in, or a
> > +byte-compiled, or a natively-compiled function object, or a function
> > +loaded from a dynamic module.
>
> Funny: I find this rather hard to understand compared to my
> original wording.  E.g. a reader might wonder what other cases there
> could be and why they don't return non-nil.

Are there other cases?  If so, what are they?  If I know what they
are, I can think of a better wording.

But if there are no other cases, I see nothing wrong with the current
wording.

> IOW, I prefer an "intentional" description over the "extensional" one
> you installed.

The original wording was too vague.  Such a specific API cannot be
documented in such vague terms.

> E.g. it's more useful when faced with a new function type.

Whoever does that change will need to remember to update the
documentation.  If they don't, some future bug report will remind us.

We cannot refrain from documenting useful things because we don't want
to have top modify our documentation due to future changes.