Re: X protocol error

From: Colin Baxter
Subject: Re: X protocol error
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 15:08:03 +0100

Dear Po,

Thanks for your reply. I have narrowed the problem to the configure option
"./configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid <RET>". If I run only "./configure
<RET>", effectively using the gtk3 default setting then emacs builds
successfully.

    > Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:
    >> On a fresh git clone of emacs and after a seemingly successful
    >> make bootstrap I get the message
    >>
    >> X protocol error: XI_BadDevice (invalid Device parameter) on
    >> protocol request 131 Serial no: 54
    >>
    >> when I attempt to launch emacs. I have no idea what the message
    >> means.
    >>
    >> Best wishes,

    > Please run Emacs under a debugger like this:

    >   (gdb) run -q -xrm "Emacs.synchronous: true"

    > and show the resulting backtrace once the breakpoint on the X
    > error handler is hit.

In an xterm, in my directory ~/git/emacs/src, if I launch gdb and then
enter your command. I get the following:

gdb$ run -q -xrm "Emacs.synchronous: true"
Starting program:  -q -xrm "Emacs.synchronous: true"
No executable file specified.
Use the "file" or "exec-file" command.

I am obviously doing something stupid. I have not used gbd before so you
will have to talk me through the method in some detail. For instance,
must have compiled (made?) emacs using some debugger option? Sorry to
be dim.

Best wishes,