Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 23:44:24 -0400

  > What's wrong with C++ in GUI code?

Requiring a C++ compiler to build Emacs is a big practical
disadvantage.  Including C++ code in Emacs will be an obstacle for
people such as me to debug or write code.  That is independent of what
jobs the C++ code is used to do.

Apparently, C++ has been used in support for the Haiku system.  That's
unfortunate, but at least it is only an issue for users concerned with
the Haiku system.  Most of us have no need to debug or read that code
since we never run it.

Using it in code that runs on the GNU system would make the problem
much more serious.  No, no, no!

However, you also wrote this:

  > The GUI parts requiring C++ can be neatly separated from the rest of the
  > C code through such glue.

That might affect the issue.  Can you explain this more?

You recommended we look at haiku_support.cc to see this technique.
But that file is 4000 lines long.  I can't look through so much
hoping to recognize the part you refer to.

Could you please describe concretely the technique you refer to, or
show precisely what code in that file illustrates it?