Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 15:41:50 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: relekarpayas@gmail.com,  larsi@gnus.org,  gregory@heytings.org,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 20:29:30 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Why is this such a grave problem?  E.g., to cancel drag-and-drop, the
> > user can drop it onto some place where dropping is a no-op, like some
> > window that doesn't accept drops or sometimes at the source from which
> > the stuff was dragged.  I never had any problems with this.
>
> [...]
>
> > Maybe we are again asking too much from the GUI environment, and too
> > easily reject environments that are not 110% perfect?  If so, it makes
> > little sense to do that with Emacs, whose GUI aspects are secondary.
>
> mouse-drag-and-drop-region cancels the drag and drop operation once the
> mouse pointer moves back into a frame that was created by the current
> Emacs session, so that more detailed mouse tracking can be used.
>
> Without that, mouse-drag-and-drop-region is noticably degraded.

I disagree.  As I said, the user can drop it in some place where
dropping is a no-op.

And let's not forget that drag-and-drop operation mostly ends in a
drop, not in a cancel.  Canceling should be much rarer than dropping.

> > It is IMNSHO bad policy for a serious project that intends to remain
> > alive for many years to put all of its eggs in a single basket.  We
> > should instead actively seek and try using alternative GUI
> > environments, and we shouldn't reject them just because they are not
> > perfect.
>
> We aren't rejecting alternative GUI environments (in fact we are almost
> certainly the only program supporting as many as we do), just not making
> them the default.

I'm not talking about the ones we already support, I'm talking about
the future policies of trying to use alternatives to X.  It was a
response to what you said:

> X will probably remain the primary window server for the next decade or
> so.

I'm saying that we shouldn't stop looking for reasonably good GUI
environments because we are complacent with X.