Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 18:41:45 +0600

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > If Someoneā„¢ contributes a Qt port, that might
>   > do as well (there was a port of XEmacs to Qt several decades ago, so
>   > it definitely feasible).
>
> Qt has a grave problem: its license.  It is released undeer GNU GPL
> version 3 _only_.  That means that if someday we have a GPL version 4,
> when we upgrade Emacs to GPL version 4-or-later, it will be
> license-incompatible with GPL 3.
>
> The Qt developers might change to GPL 3-or-4, but we can't assume they
> will do so.

We can keep the Qt port in isolation from the rest of Emacs, and then,
if we ever upgrade to GPL version 4-or-later, we can kick out the port
until Qt also upgrades their license.

> Use of C++ is another problem.

Yeah, writing C++ may seem to be pleasant, but it becomes horrible when
you get an compile error with a thousand lines backtrace of types and
templates.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social.

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  Its fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5