Re: Abysmal state of GTK build

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Abysmal state of GTK build
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 16:43:40 +0200

Gerd Möllmann <gerd.moellmann@gmail.com> writes:

> OTOH, my impression so far with building contemporary Emacs is that
> the non-src part takes most of the time.

Yup.  If I remember correctly from last time I looked at this, with a
"make -j32" on a modern AMD machine, the build takes 65 seconds in
total, and of that 10 seconds are .c compilation, 20 seconds are
./configure, 5 seconds are info and 30 seconds are Lisp files.

The most recalcitrant thing is ./configure, of course -- it's
single-threaded.  Which is just sad.  Most of what it does is eminently
multi-threadable -- I'd guesstimate that 90% of the tests are
independent and could well be run in parallel.  Last time I googled
this, there were no plans to make autoconf parallel-capable.

I wonder whether anybody has looked into switching to a different build
system?