Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter (severe performance i

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Tree-sitter integration on feature/tree-sitter (severe performance issues together with linum-mode)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2022 21:18:35 -0400

On Tue, Aug 23, 2022 at 10:34 AM Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> practice seems to have shown that a "level" is too
> meaningless and coarse).

My favorite example is the *nix "run levels".  "Level" seems
to suggest a total ordering.  So one might reasonably expect
higher levels to exhibit all of the functionality of lower levels
and then some.  Sadly that is not the case.  A "run level" is
just a random collection of features and capabilities unrelated
to all other run levels.

Obligatory quote:

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful
tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor
less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make
words mean so many different things.” “The question is,” said
Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be master—that’s all.”