Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2022 10:37:32 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> The diamond is a non-ASCII character, so to display it by default,
> we'd need to make sure the terminal is capable of displaying it.

You can print it in a Linux VT with

  printf -v tmp %04x 128
  printf "\u${tmp}\n"

> Also, do you really mean diamond, or do you mean U+FFFD
> REPLACEMENT CHARACTER

  M-x insert-char RET fffd RET

Indeed, looks like a diamond to me ...

> And why the diamond, of all the possible characters? why not
> simply '?', for example?

Because then we would have to change the QUESTION MARK

  M-x insert-char RET 3f RET

for the diamond instead ...

> (FWIW, providing such an option makes very little sense to
> me, for the reasons I explained in my previous message.
> But if people insist, and if we can find a good and safe
> replacement character to show instead of the hex code,
> I won't object adding such an option.)

Why isn't U+FFFD (�) safe?

--
underground experts united