Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 01:39:27 +0200

Richard Stallman wrote:

>> I don't understand why you want to use such a complicated
>> mechanism, when a much simpler and better one is available.
>
> I don't see how it could be simpler than using a Linux
> console, since that is as simple as could be. I have 8 of
> them, and to use one, I just type the character
> that switches.
>
> When you claim it is simpler, that has to be
> a misundersanding.

Actually it is too simple, for example it doesn't support
scrolling which is why people use tmux on top of it.
But people do that in xterm as well, maybe for other reasons
tho. (?)

>> Is there a reason why you
>> cannot (or do not want to?) use fbterm?
>
> 1. It will be different
> 2. I don't have any idea how to use fbterm.
> 3. I odn't know what new inconveniences it would cause.

Yes.

> I would like Emacs to handle nondisplayable characters on
> Linux consoles the way it did a year ago. I am sure that
> can't be hard.

Try this, it's not that bad:

  (set-char-table-extra-slot glyphless-char-display 0 "%")

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal