Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 13:41:14 +0000

In my experience, they work less well than the fonts for the Linux console.

Your experience is rather short, isn't it? You objected to that solution as soon as it was suggested. Please try again with a better font. What you see under fbterm is exactly (with respect to fonts) what you would see in a terminal emulator under X, including anti-aliasing.

That was the first one I tried this morning. I didn't like it. It's a "spidery" font like all the other ones I have available.

Can you provide a screenshot of Emacs under fbterm with that font and one of Emacs in the raw Linux console? I'm not sure I understant what you mean by "spidery".

I just came across another problem. The GPM mouse utility won't transfer text between an fbterm console and another console, not even a second fbterm.

I don't know.  In any case, that seems to be a very minor problem.

I think you were being too positive about the topic, and felt I should express the other side of the argument.

I don't think you are expressing the other side of the argument. You are listing very minor problems (and non-problems, such as when you said that "you have to configure faces").

By the way, if you don't want 256 colors and want to use only 8 colors as you did before, just don't set TERM=fbterm, or set TERM=linux.