Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2022 11:04:47 +0200

Gregory Heytings wrote:

>> If we have a problem in Emacs we should fix it in Emacs
>
> Once again, it's not a problem in Emacs, it's an inherent
> limitation of the Linux console. So it cannot be "fixed in
> Emacs".

Why can't we have an option what char should be used instead
of those bulky \U01F3A8 strings with the problems they bring
which have been mentioned? So if someone wants the old diamond
that can be arranged by a simple line of configuration?

> Just like the fact that terminal emulators do not support
> variable width fonts, which cannot be "fixed in Emacs".
> Or like the fact that (most) terminal emulators do not
> support color emojis, which cannot be "fixed in Emacs".
> Or like the fact that keys like C-. do not work in terminal
> emulators, which cannot be "fixed in Emacs". And so forth.

-1

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal