Re: Magit

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Magit
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 08:25:54 +0300

> From: Payas Relekar <relekarpayas@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 09:43:11 +0530

> >> People do use VC quite a lot.
> >
> > Maybe my wordings were not clear.  I meant - why people don't talk about
> > VC much?
>
> VC is alright, but it requires some basic learning.

It is fully described in the Emacs manual.

If you need to work with several different VCSes, VC is a better
alternative, as it strives to present a unified UI for all the VCSes
it supports, from the now ancient RCS, via CVS and Subversion, all the
way to Git and Mercurial.

> Magit is instantly intuitive and all interactive. Its a difference
> between telling computer what to do vs computer asking/presenting
> options for what needs to be done.
>
> Its bit hard to describe, but in short Magit provides superior UX by a
> wide margin.

Magit has a very different, unique UI that could be more convenient to
some/many people who want to use only Git.  Which is why we want it to
be part of the Emacs core.