Re: src/Makefile unhelpful

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: src/Makefile unhelpful
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2022 23:00:44 -0400

  > > Anyway, I think it would be useful for each make run to output, for
  > > debugging, each actual command.  It could show each of the usual
  > > commands once, or (if it isn't hard) only the usual commands that were
  > > actually executed.  To show, for instance, what this expands into:
  > >

  > > at least if the .c.o rule is ever used.

  > I think this is rarely needed, so having it silent by default is
  > better.

We may be miscommunicating.  My idea is that each make run that runs
the command

        $(AM_V_CC)$(CC) -c $(CPPFLAGS) $(ALL_CFLAGS) $(PROFILING_CFLAGS)

at least once, should output _just once_ what that expands into.

I agree we do not want to output the expansion more than once.

  > The way to see the arguments is to say

  >   make V=1

The problem with that solution is that by October I certainly won't
remember it.