Re: master 5a8a5e3d: Input fontification for M-x shell

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 5a8a5e3d: Input fontification for M-x shell
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2022 22:23:18 +0300

> +(defcustom shell-indirect-setup-hook nil
> +  "Hook run after setting up an indirect shell fontification buffer."

Thank you for working on these features.  I have a general comment
about this and other of your changes that were installed recently:

It is not useful to have customizable user options whose doc string
doesn't explain their purpose.  It makes discovery and use of such
options much harder.  Imagine a user who upgrades to Emacs 29 and runs
"M-x customize-changed" to learn about new options in the new version:
what will such user understand by reading the doc string of this
option?  There's no explanation what are indirect shell fontification
buffers, nor how and for what purpose they are used.  Without that, it
is impossible to understand when and how this hook could be useful.

Could you please augment the doc string with the above in mind?

The same goes for several other hooks in your changes installed today.