Emacs doesn't use only terminfo database to identify a terminal

From: Akib Azmain Turja
Subject: Emacs doesn't use only terminfo database to identify a terminal
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 16:11:51 +0600

Emacs uses something more than just a terminfo database to determine the
capabilities of a terminal.  For example, if I run Emacs in St, keys
like C-<left>, M-<up> work.  Then I modified the terminal name by
changing the terminfo source file (st-256color -> est-256color).  If I
run Emacs with the new terminfo database, keys like C-<down>, M-<right>
no longer work, although infocmp shows that both (st-256color and
est-256color) terminfo databases contain identical capabilities.  Now if
I rename the terminal name to something like "st-..." (I used
"st-foo-bar-baz"), those keys work again.

But why?  Who is the culprit here, Emacs or ncurses?

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social.

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  Its fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5