Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Display of undisplayable characters: \U01F3A8 instead of diamond
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 17:09:37 +0200

Gregory Heytings wrote:

>> We should never change behavior in a way that makes
>> a previously comfortable user become uncomfortable.
>
> I fear that's not a useful rule, because users develop
> Stockholm syndromes with the limitations of the software
> they use.

We are suggesting a more advanced Emacs where this would be
configurable - as easy as anything else - to get the desired
behavior, including the diamonds if that what (some)
people want.

If the bug did it, it's possible for Emacs to do as well!

>> I don't see why you have to conflate clearly unreasonable
>> "comfort" with reasonable behavior
>
> The point is that everyone has their own definition/views of
> what is "reasonable" and "comfortable".

Everyone that uses it have (or could have at least) their own
views what makes up a good Emacs. This multitude is the
strength of the FOSS world and just in general, what an awful
world it would be if everyone was the same.

We are not against you using or pushing for your software, on
the contrary. Maybe it is better, as you say. But that's not
the issue here, really.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal